Babaghanouj is a Levantine appetizer dip and is also served as a breakfast dish. It’s easy to prepare, delightfully tasty, and very nutritious. It’s high in fiber and vitamin C, which may improve digestion and offer cancer-fighting properties. Research showed that the compounds that give eggplants their unique purplish color may even help prevent osteoporosis.
1. Cut the eggplants into halves. Poke the halves with a fork. Drizzle 1⁄2 tbsp of olive oil on each half, then sprinkle each half with salt.
2. Place on a baking sheet and roast the eggplant at 350o for 30 minutes.
3. Once they are cooled, scoop out the flesh using a spoon.
4. Crush the eggplant using a fork or chop it with a knife, then place the crushed eggplant in a medium bowl.
5. Add the olive oil, yogurt, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and cumin to the crushed eggplant, and stir to combine all ingredients.
6. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with extra olive oil.
7. Serve with whole-grain flatbread (or pita), spread it on toast, or use it as a dip for chips.