A delicious and filling start to your day! These muffins are made soft and moist by simply using ripe banana and just a little added sugar and oil. Throw in some ground flaxseed and nuts to add healthy fats! Flaxseeds are a great plant-based source of omega-3 fats that our body needs; they also provide protein and fiber.
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. In a medium bowl whisk together the mashed banana, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and olive oil.
2. In a separate medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, flaxseed, and walnuts.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir them together just enough so no dry flour remains on the bottom of the bowl. Avoid over stirring the batter.
4. Line six wells of a muffin tin with paper liners, then divide the batter evenly between the six wells. It should fill the wells almost to the top.
5. Transfer the muffins to the oven and bake at 425ºF for five minutes, then reduce the heat setting to 350ºF without opening the oven door and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
6. After baking, remove the muffins from the tin to allow them to cool. Enjoy the muffins immediately or allow them to cool completely and then store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Per Serving- Calories: 226, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Sodium: 114mg, Total Sugars: 6.7g
*Ground flaxseed can be found in most stores. If you have whole flaxseeds, it is best to grind them using a grinder, food processer, or mortar and pestle so your body can absorb the nutrients.