This healthy burger is seasoned with barbecue flavors, studded with cheddar cheese, & grilled and basted in barbecue sauce. This easy chicken burger may just replace all burgers at your house!
1. Heat grill to medium high.
2. Place chicken into large mixing bowl and add spices, ¼ cup barbecue sauce, and diced cheese. Mix until just combined and ingredients are evenly distributed. DO NOT OVERMIX.
3. Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into patties. Place a thumbprint into the middle of each burger to help prevent shrinkage and to ensure even cooking.
4. Grill burgers for 6-7 minutes per side or until chicken reaches 160 degrees.
5. Remove chicken burgers to a plate and baste with additional barbecue sauce. Allow burgers to rest on a plate for 5-10 minutes before serving.
6. Serving Option: Serve on top of bun (or go bun-less for low-carb / gluten free) and top burger with 1-2 tsp additional barbecue sauce and ¼ cup coleslaw on each burger. Note- Additional toppings will alter total calories, fat, sodium, and sugar.
Optional toppings: lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onion, or fresh coleslaw
Nutrition Tips: -Store-bought BBQ sauce is often high in Added Sugar. Compare brands to find a BBQ sauce that is lowest in Added Sugars per serving size. -Vinegar-based coleslaw will be lower in Total Fat, Saturated Fat, and Cholesterol than a mayonnaise-based slaw. Look at the Ingredient Lists of store-bought coleslaw to find one that is made with vinegar instead of mayo!