Whether you are a meat-lover, vegan, or vegetarian, this plant-based burger recipe is sure to win everyone over! This simple burger recipe is packed with fiber and protein that will keep you full and satisfied.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the beans onto a baking sheet. Bake until dry to the touch and begin to split, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Place the cooled beans, oats, salt, and salsa in the bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash. Once thoroughly mashed, stir to combine.
3. Place ½ avocado in a large bowl and mash with a fork until smooth (you should have about 1/2 cup mashed avocado). Reserve the remaining half for topping the burgers. Add the bean mixture to the bowl with the avocado and stir/fold with a rubber spatula until a cohesive mixture forms. Add the cilantro and mix gently.
4. Shape the mixture into 4 (2/3 cup) patties or 6 smaller (1/2 cup) patties. Let rest for 5 minutes or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, until it shimmers. Add the patties and cook until a dark crust forms on the bottom of the patties, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until crisp on the other side, 3 to 4 minutes more. (If making 6 burgers, work in batches, adding 1 tablespoon oil to the pan for the second batch.)
6. Coarsely mash the remaining avocado half and the second avocado. Spread mashed avocado onto buns. Serve burgers on buns.
Optional toppings include: chipotle mayo, sliced red onion, tomato slices, and lettuce.