Not only is this soup recipe delicious, but it is nutritious as well! Butternut squash is a great source of vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, fiber, and other key nutrients. Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and fiber and make the meal more filling and satisfying.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 oF
2. Peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds inside. Chop into 1-inch squares. Chop the rest of the vegetables into thin slices. Mince the garlic and chop herbs into small pieces and set to the side.
3. Place the vegetables in a large pot with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
4. While the vegetables are softening, prepare the chickpeas.
5. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pat dry with a towel. Add the chickpeas to a baking sheet.
6. Add the olive oil and taco seasoning to the baking sheet and mix until the chickpeas are covered.
7. Roast the chickpeas for 35-45 minutes or until crispy, stirring half-way through cooking.
8. Add the garlic, herbs, and pepper to the pot. Blend the contents of the pot with a blender until the consistency is smooth and there are no lumps.
9. Serve in a bowl and top the soup with the roasted chickpeas.
* You can use other vegetables on hand, such as celery, spinach, kale, or broccoli.
** You can use more or less chicken broth depending on your desired consistency. Use more broth for a thinner consistency and less for a thicker consistency.
*** You can use pre-made taco seasoning as well, or substitute for another seasoning mix.
Per Serving: Calories 259, Protein 8.8 g, Saturated Fat 3.8 g, Sodium 1368.8 mg, Fiber 1.7g, Sugars 4.7 g