This is not your ordinary salad… not only is it a nice summer treat, but it is also packed with healthy ingredients. Black beans are a great source of protein and iron. Corn is rich in the carotenoids, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which are nutrients important for eye health. Both beans and corn are high in fiber; this will help you stay fuller for longer. You will want to keep this colorful salad on your go-to summer recipe list!
1. If your corn cobs have the husk attached: remove and discard the husk from each corn cob. Thoroughly remove the silk and rinse with water. Pat dry. Brush or spray the cobs with olive oil.
2. Grill the cobs of corn, either on a char-grill pan, under a broiler, or on a grill until the edges of the kernels are slightly charred, about 10-15 minutes. Be sure to rotate the cobs so they are evenly charred.
3. Remove the corn from the grill and set aside until cool.
4. To remove the kernels from the cobs, place a small bowl upside down inside a large bowl. Stand the cob on its flat end on the small bowl and, using a sharp knife, slice down the cob. The kernels will fall into the large bowl. Remove the small bowl.
5. Add the black beans, cubed avocado, diced onion, and bell pepper along with the chopped cilantro to the corn.
To make the dressing:
1. In a small bowl combine the extra olive oil, freshly squeezed lime juice, maple syrup (or honey), salt, and black pepper.
2. Check that the dressing is to your taste. It should be bright with the zing of lime, but not so sharp as to be unpleasant. Add a dash more of maple syrup (or honey) if necessary.
3. Add the dressing to the corn mixture, toss gently to combine the ingredients, and pour it into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve.
adapted from It’s Not Complicated Recipes by Alexandra