Warm-up on a chilly day with this hearty and comforting stuffed pepper recipe. The stuffed peppers are packed with flavor from the black beans, onions, corn, diced tomatoes, and spices. This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Heat a large non-stick skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, and onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onions soften, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms soften.
2. Add black beans, corn, cooked rice, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Cook for a few more minutes to allow most of the tomato liquid to cook off.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the peppers by cutting them in half through the stem end (vertically), removing the seeds and membranes, and rinsing the insides to make sure all the seeds are out. Spray cooking spray on a large baking sheet.
4. Fill each pepper half with the veggie mixture and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until peppers are tender, about 40 minutes.
6. Top the peppers with 1 Tbsp cheese each, then put them back into the oven. Bake until the cheese has melted –only a few minutes.
Chef’s Note: Top off your stuffed peppers with additional cheese, green onions, reduced fat sour cream, guacamole, or pair with salsa and tortilla chips!
Per serving: Calories 466 kcal, Carbohydrates 87g, Protein 17.4g, Saturated Fat 2.4g, Sodium 1360mg, Fiber 16.1g, Sugars 16.6g
Recipe adapted from Chili Stuffed Peppers with Black Beans and Mushrooms on the pickyeaterblog and Chili Stuffed Peppers from gobeyondhunger.org