This simple recipe comes straight to you from our Nutrition Intern’s home. This dish is the perfect comfort meal for those cold fall days when you want something filling, warm, and with a little bit of spice.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat ground beef in a pan at medium heat and sauté until brown. Drain the excess fat and set aside the meat in a separate bowl.
3. Chop onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves (if using garlic powder add this in during step 4). Sauté the onion and bell pepper in the original pan at medium heat.
4. Once onions are translucent and peppers are soft, add the chopped garlic cloves. Cook for 1 minute, then add the ground meat back into the pan. Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, cinnamon, chipotle adobo sauce, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and let simmer at medium low heat for 10 minutes.
5. While that simmers, prepare the jiffy cornbread batter in a separate bowl according to the directions on the box.
6. Pour the meat mixture into a deep 12.5in x 9in baking dish and pour the cornbread mixture on top. Do not mix to combine.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cornbread should be golden brown, and a toothpick should be able to pierce through the batter and come out clean.
Per Serving: Calories 307 kcal, Total fat: 12g, Saturated Fat 5g, Sodium 569mg, Sugars 10g