Hummingbird cake is a popular, Southern recipe that uses pineapple, cream cheese, and pecans. While delicious, the classic recipe is very high in sugar and fat. In this recipe we have made a few ingredient substitutions that uphold the original flavor and texture of the cake but eliminate some of the extra sugar, calories, and fat. We promise you’ll still love it!
1. Preheat oven to 350o. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
2. In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add banana and pineapple; mix well.
3. Fold wet ingredients and chopped pecans with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together.
4. Spoon batter into cupcake tin. Bake at 350o for about 23 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
7. Spread frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled. Garnish each cupcake with a pecan half on top.
Per Serving - Calories: 126
Carbohydrates: 26 g, Saturated Fat: 0.4 g, Sodium: 228 mg, Fiber: 1.7 g, Total Sugars: 17.6 g