Fall is around the corner, which means you will see a lot of new pumpkin recipes floating around! This pumpkin recipe includes making a pasta sauce that is perfect for you, especially if you’re bored of your everyday marinara sauce. It has a savory taste and is packed full of nutrients, like vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This is a vegan recipe that you can make in autumn and winter when pumpkins are available at the market. Enjoy!
1. In a medium-sized pot or large frying pan, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. For the last minute, add garlic to the pan and continue to sauté.
2. Add sage and heat for another minute.
3. Add milk and pumpkin to the pan. Stir to combine and allow mixture to simmer until flavors are well-combined, about 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add salt, pepper, and walnuts or pine nuts if using, stirring to combine, and then remove from heat.
5. Serve 1 cup of sauce over 1 cup of cooked pasta. Enjoy!
Serving option: Top the pasta with a few Tablespoons of breadcrumbs or with shredded parmesan cheese. For a vegan recipe, vegan parmesan cheese will work well.
Per Serving of Sauce: Calories 166, Carbohydrates 8.2 g, Protein 11 g, Saturated Fat 1.7 g, Sodium 364 mg, Fiber 2.4 g, Sugars 2.6 g.