This pasta recipe is quick, inexpensive, and mighty flavorful! Whole wheat spaghetti is fantastic source of whole grains and contains important nutrients, like fiber and B vitamins. In addition, this recipe includes broccoli and cauliflower, two cruciferous vegetables high in fiber and low in calories. Parmesan cheese, Italian seasonings, and red pepper flakes round out the flavor profile of this simple dish.
1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. When pasta is almost done, set aside ¼- ½ cup of pasta water before draining.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add broccoli and cauliflower to pan and sauté over low to medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons of pasta water over vegetables to help cook, if needed.
3. Drain pasta and add to skillet with vegetables. Add 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and gentle toss to combine.
4. Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and continue to toss ingredients together in the skillet over low heat until water is absorbed. Add more pasta water, as needed, to help incorporate seasonings.
5. Drizzle pasta and vegetable mixture with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Serve with red pepper flakes and grated parmesan cheese
Per Serving: Calories 216, Carbohydrates 30 g, Protein 6.7 g, Saturated Fat 8.5 g, Sodium 25.5 mg, Fiber 5.1 g, Sugars 2.2g