Wild rice is a versatile whole grain that is full of flavor and texture. This pilaf is full of healthy ingredients, like walnuts and fruit. It's the perfect side dish or addition to your salad. Enjoy!
1. Add the wild rice blend and vegetable broth to a saucepot. Place a lid on top and turn the heat on to medium-high. Allow the broth to come to a full boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 45 minutes, or for the amount of time directed on the package.
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the pilaf. Dice the onion, celery, and apple.
3. Add the onion to a large skillet with the melted butter (or oil) and sauté over medium heat until softened.
Add the apples, celery, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet with the onions and continue to sauté for about five minutes more, or just until the apples and celery begin to soften (but are still somewhat firm to the bite).
4. When the rice has finished cooking, add it to the skillet with the apples, celery, and onion. Also add the chopped walnuts (if using), cranberries, and chopped parsley (if using). Stir until everything is evenly combined.
5. Taste the pilaf and adjust the salt or seasonings to your liking. Serve hot.
Adapted from BudgetBytes.com