Now Hiring: Programs Manager
*The application period for this position has closed 5.4.2021. We will post future job openings as available.
Beyond Hunger is harnessing the power of communities to end hunger. An award-winning direct service agency (formerly Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry), we serve residents of 13 zip codes on the West Side of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Last year we provided critical food assistance and programming to over 40,000 individuals. Our energetic and fulfilling work environment is resourced by an operating budget of $3 million, 9 full-time staff members, 6 part-time staff, 4 full-time AmeriCorps members, over 1300 active volunteers—and possibly you.
We are seeking someone as passionate as we are about ending hunger. Someone who understands the power of community and its role in identifying solutions as well as needs. Someone who understands the role programs play in addressing immediate needs while working to discover and dismantle the root causes of hunger. With a variety of interesting and varied projects to keep you busy, this is your opportunity to play a key role in creating a hunger free community while building on Beyond Hunger’s identity as an innovative thought leader in the sector. If you are a mission-driven, results-oriented, team player with attention to detail and a willingness to learn new systems, this position is for you.
Job Summary: The Program Manager will support Beyond Hunger’s mission to end local hunger by managing four programs targeting food insecurity among seniors, children, and adults with disabilities. Specific programs include Social Services, Nutrition Education, Summer Meals, and Home Delivery. The program manager will lead the team through strategic decision-making and prioritization, racial equity awareness and action, and planned sustainability.
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Program Coordinator, Nutrition Education Coordinators/Dietitians, Social Services Coordinator, Summer Interns, and volunteers
Status: Full-time, exempt.
- Plan the delivery of programs and activities that reflect the mission, values, and goals of Beyond Hunger
- Develop and deliver programs that recognize the root causes of hunger are embedded in systems of racial oppression and are reflected in inequitable health outcomes (social determinants of health)
- Foster a culture of equity, respect, and dignity in all endeavors
- Take the long view: consider sustainability with long-term analysis of all programs
Budget, goals, and assessment
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve successful outcomes of programs and work towards more equitable long-term solutions to hunger
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support all programs
- Ensure that the programs operate within the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess program strengths and areas for improvement
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all program staff
- Liaise with Food Pantry staff to ensure effective and efficient delivery of program objectives
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop program impact reports
- Communicate with funders as requested
- Recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff as needed, including summer interns
- Ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the programs
- Oversee the management and training of the yearly full-time AmeriCorps Community Nutrition Program Specialist position and Disabled & Aging Population Program Specialist, adhering to all guidelines and requirements of NCCC and VISTA
- Create volunteer shifts and communicate monthly updates to volunteer team
- Establish relationships with program participants and other stakeholders to better understand community assets and needs, gain support for the programs, and solicit input for improvement.
- Collaborate with other community organizations on relevant projects e.g. voter registration, census, community needs assessment, social determinants of health, etc.
- Create and maintain impeccable relationships with ALL partner agencies.
- Creatively engage with community partners to extend capacity
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of Beyond Hunger and comply with all relevant legal and professional standards
- Document program activities, developing forms and protocols as needed
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Ensure the integrity of program and participant data
- Oversee the collection and maintenance of program participant data, adhering to strict codes of confidentiality, privacy, integrity, and respect for the individual
- Oversee CRM (Salesforce) usage and maintenance to ensure reliability and accuracy of data
- Update ALL data tracking tools including annual assessments and monthly reporting
- Collaborate with “data team” to troubleshoot issues, duplicates, repeat visits, etc.
- Address participant issues that are revealed from data analysis
- Manager platform modification as needed
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent engagement skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- High energy and passion for Beyond Hunger’s mission
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a dynamic environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills, attention to details
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and have a diplomatic attitude
- Ability to attend some evening and weekend events
- Fluent in Spanish highly desired (speak, read, and write)
- Dedication to racial equity, including willingness to discern and dismantle systems of oppression that further inequities within the agency and the community
- Program Participant Focus: View individuals holistically, as assets in problem-solving, not as “users.” Anticipate, solicit feedback, and respond to participant needs
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of individuals and groups to build and sustain relationships
- Ability to maintain positive relations with program participants, volunteers, co-workers, staff from other agencies, funders, and the general public
- Ability to interact effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds and treat everyone with respect and dignity
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office/Excel/Teams
- Experience in budgeting and reporting
- Familiarity with database management, Salesforce experience a huge plus
- Experience in planning, coordinating, and managing multiple projects, including tracking and reporting on progress to achieve desired outcomes
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and create new opportunities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluation the process and results
Education: Bachelor’s degree or related experience required with 3+ years’ experience managing program development, success in forging and stewarding relationships, and demonstrated success in working with diverse groups of individuals
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to info@GoBeyondHunger.org by April 30, 2021