We're Hiring: Communications Specialist
We are seeking someone as passionate as we are about ending hunger. Someone who understands the power of communication and can wield it effectively within our team and community. With a variety of interesting and diverse projects to keep you busy, this is your opportunity to play a key role in creating a hunger free community while establishing Beyond Hunger’s new brand identity. If you are a mission-driven, results-oriented, team player with attention to detail and a willingness to learn new systems, this position is for you.
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Reports To: Director of Development
Job Status/Salary: Part-time, Permanent (possible FT, see "Full Time Options")
Communications and Brand Management Responsibilities:
Manage internal and external communications
• Create and manage production of communication content for a variety of platforms, ensuring. brand consistency
• Manage website content and updates with compelling stories, images, and current program information.
• Develop and implement effective search engine optimization strategies.
• Manage social media strategy, implementation, and integration. Maintain a strong presence for Beyond Hunger. Produce social media calendar on a monthly and annual basis coordinated across development and program teams.
• Create and manage distribution of quarterly donor e-newsletters, annual report, and two printed newsletters. Support event related electronic communications.
• Support development and event programs as needed.
• Lead efforts to effectively market Beyond Hunger to diverse audiences (board members, clients, partner agencies, donors, volunteers, funders, local governments, regional media and others as appropriate) through online, print, and in-person channels.
• Work with leadership to identify PR and thought-leadership opportunities. Implement campaigns around key programs and issues as directed.
• Monitor current hunger policy news and create advocacy alerts to generate action among supporters.
• Write/distribute news releases for key events and initiatives.
Writing & Editing, Design
• Create content and design for all development-related materials including impact reports, quarterly donor engagement materials, partnership brochures, etc.
• Support program-related needs with brochures, handouts, and fact sheets.
• Create basic graphic design for event materials and ads.
• Oversee story collection and management of story database through direct contact with clients, volunteers, donors, staff, and board.
• Photograph/video events and daily activities as needed to support stories.
Full time options--If candidate has sufficient Salesforce/data management/grant writing expertise, this position could be full time and would include:
• Provide basic administrative Salesforce support, including data cleaning and report generation for grant requests, budgeting, and performance reporting.
• Assist Beyond Hunger’s grant-writing efforts through research, data reports, and editing proposals.
• Participate in fostering relationships with state and national legislators.
• Serve as staff liaison to Advocacy Committee of the Board.
• Participate in membership or networking activities for personal, professional growth and development.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or commensurate work experience.
• Minimum 3-4 years of relevant development and/or communication experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
• Must possess exceptional writing, editing and communications skills along with strategic and analytical thinking skills
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Adobe Suite, Hootsuite, Emma (email marketing platform). Salesforce and Drupal a plus.
• Experience managing all social media platforms.
• Able to work well under pressure, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects, and prioritize competing responsibilities.
• Comfortable working in a culture of diversity and inclusion.
To be successful as a member of the Beyond Hunger team, you will:
• Have a proactive personality, pitching in to help when necessary.
• Demonstrate mature judgment with a high level of personal and professional responsibility, integrity, and trustworthiness.
• Have a sense of humor, even under stress.
• Be comfortable giving and receiving honest, constructive feedback.
• Value relationships and accountability, empowering others to achieve superior results.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Teri Miller, Director of Development: teri@GoBeyondHunger.org by August 20, 2019