Legumes: A RAINBOW of nutrition
What Are Legumes?
In food science legumes are categorized under vegetables. It composes of many crop plants that can provide us with fiber, protein and minerals.
Lentils provide fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, folate and protein.
Lentil dishes all over the world!
- India: Used to make daal, lentil and spiced curry
- North Africa: Red lentil soup
- France: Inside light salads with vinaigrette
- Greece: Used to make a lentil loaf
- Syria: Noodles, onions, pomegranate, molasses and herbs
Beans provide fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, folate and protein.
Bean dishes all over the world!
- Egypt: used in onion and tomato breakfast dish.
- Great Britain: Beans on toast, sometimes with toppings.
- Peru: Fried rice and beans with salsa, meats or fried egg.
- Spain: White beans with sausage, pork, bacon and paprika.
- West Africa: Dish with corn, beans, cassava, sweet potatoes and meat or fish.
Oilseed: Peanuts and Soybeans
Peanuts and soybeans provide protein, fats, fiber, potassium and magnesium.
Oilseed dishes all over the world!
- China: Kung Pao chicken with peanut oil and spices
- Indonesia: Spiced tempeh (soybean item) and soy sauce
- Nepal: Peanuts, veggies and spices in a light salad
- Korean: Soybean sprouts, oil, veggies and spices side dish
- Malaysia: Peanut sauce with spices, lemongrass and shallots
Peas can provide fiber, potassium, folate, magnesium, protein and some iron.
Peas in dishes all over the world!
- Punjab: Spiced potatoes and peas
- Spain: Creamy spanish pea soup with ham
- Israel: Couscous with peas and mint
- Ghana: black eyed peas, tomatoes and spiced stew
- Thailand: Pad Thai with snap peas or snow peas
Chickpeas provide fiber, potassium, folate, protein some iron and magnesium.
Chickpea dishes all over the world!
- France/Italy: Flatbread made from chickpeas
- Persia: Chickpeas, white beans, potato & tomato stew
- Tunisia: Chickpea stew with onions, lamb or beef
- Palestine: Chicken, chickpeas, and couscous
- Turkey: Cereal, dried fruit and chickpea called ashure
- Many cultures love lentils; we should too. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2007-02-21-0702200287-story.html. Published 2022. Accessed February 11, 2022.
- Pasta with Lentils S. Syrian Pasta with Lentils & Caramelized Onion (Horaa Osbao) | حراق اصبعه - Vegan - Zen and Zaatar. Zen and Zaatar. https://zenandzaatar.com/recipe/pasta-
- Fast Facts: 7 Inspiring Bean Dishes from Across the Globe | Bean Institute. Bean Institute. https://beaninstitute.com/fast-facts-7-inspiring-bean-dishes-from-across-the-globe/. Published 2022. Accessed February 16, 2022.
- Yan S. 15 Chinese Foods that Continue Peanuts. chinesefoodsrecipies.com. https://chinesefoodsrecipe.com/15-chinese-foods-that-contain-peanuts.html. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022
- Jacobson A. Tempeh Kecap - Fried Tempeh in Sweet Soy Sauce. Dailycookingquest.com. https://dailycookingquest.com/tempeh-kecap-fried-tempeh-in-sweet-soy-sauce.html. Published 2022. Accessed February 23, 2022.
- Nepali-Style Peanut Salad (Badam Sadheko) — Food, Pleasure & Health. Food, Pleasure & Health. https://www.foodpleasureandhealth.com/blog/2020/4/6/nepali-style-peanut-salad-badam-sadheko. Published 2022. Accessed February 23, 2022.
- Kongnamool (Korean Soybean Sprouts). Allrecipes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/192812/kongnamool-korean-soybean-sprouts/. Published 2022. Accessed February 23, 2022.
- Spice It up With Aloo Matar (Indian Potatoes and Peas). The Spruce Eats. https://www.thespruceeats.com/vegan-aloo-matar-3377039. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022.
- Spanish Pea Soup [Creamy Recipe]. Visit Southern Spain. https://visitsouthernspain.com/spanish-pea-soup-recipe/. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022.
- Shaw H. Ghanaian Red Red Recipe - Stewed Cowpeas with Tomatoes | Hank Shaw. Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. https://honest-food.net/ghana-red-red-recipe/. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022.
- Israeli Couscous with Peas and Mint Recipe. Food & Wine. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/israeli-couscous-with-peas-and-mint. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022.
- Soranidis A. The Easiest Vegan Pad Thai. The Petite Cook™. https://www.thepetitecook.com/the-easiest-vegan-pad-thai/. Published 2022. Accessed February 18, 2022.